Concord, NH – Today DES recognized Colony Used Auto Parts for becoming a Certified NH Green Yards, a distinction reserved for auto salvage yards that use exemplary environmental work practices. The process for becoming a "Certified NH Green Yard" is part of a pilot program developed by Department of Environmental Services (DES), working with the NH Auto & Truck Recyclers Association (NHATRA), to improve environmental performance at auto salvage yards and provide incentive for going beyond compliance.
DES presented Dave Branscombe a certificate and Certified NH Green Yard flag for display at his business location.
"Modern automobiles contain many hazardous materials and components such as gasoline, oil, antifreeze, mercury switches and lead acid batteries," noted Assistant Commissioner Walls. "We depend on auto recyclers to properly recover these materials and keep them from contaminating the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the land we live on. Too often we hear about environmental problems caused by one ‘junkyard’ or another. In fact, some of these 15 Certified NH Green Yards have encountered problems caused by mistakes in the past. But they made important changes to correct the mistakes and now use best management practices to run environmentally responsible facilities."
The NH Green Yards Program have been working with over 150 auto salvage yards throughout the state to improve environmental practices and to bring them into compliance with exiting state and federal environmental requirements. According to NHATRA President Jeff Kantor, New Hampshire’s auto salvage yards recycle over 50,000 end-of-life vehicles yearly. "That's enough cars to fill both lanes of Interstate 93 from Concord to Littleton," Kantor explained. "Our association is working hard to change the negative view many people have of the auto salvage industry. For example, many people don’t realize that auto recyclers typically recover and recycle, by weight, 85 percent of the material content of a motor vehicle, making automobiles the number one consumer product being recycled today. Now, when you see a Certified NH Green Yard flag at a salvage yard, you will know the owner is helping to take care of New Hampshire’s environment."
For more information and to find out about becoming a Certified NH Green Yard, contact Pamela H. Sprague, NH Green Yard Program coordinator, at (603) 271-2938 or email@example.com, and visit the DES Web site http://des.nh.gov/SW/GreenYards.
Photos are available upon request.
The NH Green Yards Program points of interest:
- Approximately 500,000 vehicles in New Hampshire are over nine years old and will soon be recycled. (The average age of a vehicle in a salvage yard is seven to 10 years.)
- Cars are the #1 recycled product in the United States.
- Approximately 10 million vehicles are recycled annually in the North America.
- At least 95 percent of all cars scrapped in the US are collected for reuse and recycling.
- The modern automobile contains many other toxic and hazardous components that we depend on the auto recycler to remove and properly recycle or dispose of. These materials include:
- Lead acid batteries
- Freon, gasoline/fuel
- Motor oil and other oil, including brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc.
- Lead parts, such as wheel weights and battery cable ends
- Air bag cartridges containing the chemical sodium azide (explosive/acutely toxic)
- Mercury-containing parts, such as hood and trunk light switches, ABS brake systems, HID headlamps, and backlighting for navigational/entertainment systems.
Certified NH Green Yards
Brandy Brow Auto Parts, Inc., Plaistow
Bow Auto Parts, Bow
Car World, Inc. , Candia
Central NH Sales, Inc., Concord
Colony Used Auto Parts, Rochester
General Auto Salvage Co., Inc., Claremont
Hebert Towing, Inc. Goffstown
Jack Mansur’s Auto, Pelham
Jean-Guy’s Used Parts, Pelham
John’s Truck & Auto Salvage, Kingston
Ken’s Auto Sales & Salvage, Kingston
Maurice Auto & Truck Parts, Claremont
P&L Auto Parts, Inc. Berlin
Roy Richardson’s Auto Salvage, Pittsfield
Webster Town Auto Recycling, Webster
Note: High Resolution Photos of Colony Used Auto Parts with the Green Yards Banner are available for publication.