Major activities include:
- Providing state agencies, local governments, planning commissions, the private sector, and the general public with geologic information to meet their scientific, educational, and business needs.
- Mapping New Hampshire’s bedrock and surficial geology, mineral deposits, and stratified-drift aquifers, as well as producing geologic publications.
- Maintaining statewide databases of well completion records, water use information and surface water features.
- Overseeing a statewide network of observation wells to monitor groundwater levels.
- Assessing hazards posed by natural events such as floods, landslides, and earthquakes.
- Assessing the availability of water resources at the statewide, regional, and local level.
- Preserving New Hampshire’s geologic and geophysical data.
- Providing earth science education and outreach information.