Get Involved! Actions to Reduce Mercury
- Join Practice GreenHealth now! In New Hampshire, there are currently 23 hospitals (approximately 85 percent of the acute care hospitals) that are Practice GreenHealth partners. The goal is for 100 percent participation. The NH Department of Environmental Services (DES) is a champion of the program.
- Many healthcare facilities with mercury programs have found that it is invaluable to have a written policy in place. This can place formal restrictions on mercury-containing products and outline specific emergency procedures in case of breakage of existing products.
- Check with your purchasing department. It is of little use to remove mercury from the healthcare facility if there are no policies preventing the acquisition of additional items.
- Remember, as a healthcare facility you hold the trust of the public and have a unique opportunity to distribute reliable information. Use this opportunity to share these facts about mercury with your staff and patients.
- Sponsor a thermometer swap in your community or facility! People bring in old mercury thermometers in exchange for a new digital, non-mercury thermometer. E-mail NHPPP at [email protected] for advice on planning this activity.
- Distribute pamphlets about mercury and its effects. Try:
- Mercury Thermometers and Your Family’s Health, available from Healthcare Without Harm, telephone (703) 237-2249, or [email protected]
- Mercury in New Hampshire Freshwater Fish, available from NH DES, (603) 271-3994.
- Create a mercury display for your bulletin boards at your facility! Use information you find on these pages or create your own designs. Try to have handouts readily available near the bulletin boards, waiting rooms, and exam rooms. NHPPP has a mercury informational display available for loan. If you would like to borrow the display, telephone (800) contact NHPPP at (800) 273-9469 or [email protected] .
- Write an article on mercury and fish advisories for your newsletter, whether it is distributed to your patients, community or to your staff.
NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm