In the event of mercury spill, NHPPP suggests that you follow these steps for minimal contact with the spilled mercury, and contain the spill.
Contact DES Waste Management, Spill Response and Complaint Investigation Section at (603) 271-3899.
Review Cleaning Up Household Spills of Elemental Mercury fact sheet, and create or purchase a mercury spill kit.
- Ventilate and evacuate room where spill occurred.
- DO NOT vacuum up spilled mercury.
- DO NOT pour mercury down the drain.
- Use cardboard, squeegee or eyedropper to collect all glass and mercury.
- Use latex or rubber gloves while cleaning up and dispose in container or sealable plastic bag.
- Place any contaminated cloths, fabrics, or footwear in a plastic bag for disposal.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.