In the event of mercury spill, NHPPP suggests that you follow these steps for minimal contact with the spilled mercury, and contain the spill.
- Contact DES Waste Management, Spill Response and Complaint Investigation Section at (603) 271-3899.
- Review Cleaning Up Household Spills of Elemental Mercury fact sheet, and create or purchase a mercury spill kit.
- Ventilate and evacuate room where spill occurred.
- DO NOT vacuum up spilled mercury.
- DO NOT pour mercury down the drain.
- Use cardboard, squeegee or eyedropper to collect all glass and mercury.
- Use latex or rubber gloves while cleaning up and dispose in container or sealable plastic bag.
- Place any contaminated cloths, fabrics, or footwear in a plastic bag for disposal.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.