The New Hampshire DES regulates Firefighter Instruction and Training Activities to minimize toxic air pollutants that could result from these activities, while providing firefighters appropriate real-life fire suppression and safety training opportunities. The public benefit is also to the public safety during a fire. Firefighter Instruction and Training Activities are regulated under Env-A 1003 Firefighter Instruction and Training Activities, and establishes the requirements for the sponsoring organization when burning either solid fuel, liquid fuel, a motor vehicle or a structure.
A state certified fire instructor or specialty instructor must directly supervise all firefighter instruction and training activities. A completed "Live Fire Instruction and Training Activities Notification" Form ARD-1003 must be submitted to DES by the fire service organization (e.g., a fire department) at least 10 days prior to the training burn. If conducting instruction and training activities in a structure, the following certifications must be included on the form:
- A qualified asbestos inspector has performed an asbestos inspection of the proposed building and the inspector has provided a report to the building owner certifying the building has been cleared of asbestos. Include report from the inspector with the notification. Additional information on asbestos inspection and abatement can be found at Asbestos Management.
- An asbestos notification form has been completed and submitted to the DES at least 10 days before the scheduled burn date.
- All of the following materials have been removed from the structure and properly disposed of:
- Asbestos containing building materials
- Mercury containing thermostats
- Fluorescent lamps
- Fuel oil tanks
- Paints, solvents, and other liquids containing hazardous ingredients
- Pesticides, insecticides, fertilizers, and other potentially hazardous solids
- Residential trash
- Furniture and appliances not specifically utilized in the training exercise
Stephen Cullinane, Supervisor
NHDES Air Resources Division
29 Hazen Drive; PO Box 95
Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-1373; (603) 271-1381 (fax)
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.