EPA has finalized three Federal regulations that apply to reciprocating internal combustion engines (RICE) used for emergency purposes at both major and area sources of Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAP) emissions. This website is dedicated to emergency RICE located at area sources of HAPs.
National Emission Standard for HAPs (Quad Z)
- Includes diesel and gas fired engines that were:
- Existing: Before June 12, 2006.
- New: On or after June 12, 2006.
New Source Performance Standards (Quad I) and (Quad J)
- Compression Ignition engines (Quad I) includes diesel fired engines that were:
- Manufactured after April 1, 2006 (July 1, 2006 for fire pump engines), or
- Modified or reconstructed after July 11, 2005.
- Spark Ignition engines (Quad J) includes gas fired engines that were:
- Manufactured on or after January 1, 2008.
Contact DES if your facility is not considered an area source.