EPA has finalized three Federal regulations that apply to reciprocating internal combustion engines (RICE) used for prime power purposes at both major and area sources of Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAP) emissions. This website is dedicated to prime power RICE located at area sources of HAPs.
National Emission Standard for HAPs (Quad Z)
- Includes diesel and gas fired engines that were:
- Existing: Before June 12, 2006.
- New: On or after June 12, 2006.
New Source Performance Standards (Quad I) and (Quad J)
- Compression Ignition engines (Quad I) includes diesel fired engines that were:
- Manufactured after April 1, 2006, or
- Modified or reconstructed after July 11, 2005.
- Spark Ignition engines (Quad J) includes gas fired engines that were:
- Manufactured after July 2007.
Contact DES if your facility is not considered an area source.