Overview:This toolkit was developed to guide New Hampshire communities through a logical planning process. It provides a variety of adaptation tools and resources for assessing and planning for climate change impacts. The toolkit allows a community to choose the path to take, starting with where they currently are in assessing and planning. In other words, there is no right way to begin.
If a community is starting from the beginning, there is a process we recommend you follow:
1. Research and review the state, regional and local plans and assessments for climate change mitigation (decreasing our contribution to greenhouse gas emissions) and adaptation (preparing for the impacts) that already exist.
2. Review messaging around climate change issues (how to talk about this in your community)
3. Engage your community in a conversation around climate change adaptation
4. Perform assessments and evaluations of your community to identify vulnerabilities and opportunities
5. Begin incorporating adaptation recommendations and actions into community plans (Master Plans, Hazard Mitigation Plans, Capital Improvement Plans etc.) and regulations (Zoning, etc.)
6. Seek funding to implement and draw upon additional resources as necessary State, Regional & Local Plans
NH Climate Action Plan - A plan completed in 2009 focused on achieving the greatest feasible reductions in greenhouse gas emissions while also providing long-term economic benefits to the citizens of New Hampshire. The Climate Action Plan sets greenhouse gas emissions goals for the State of NH and provides recommendations on how to achieve those goals.
NH Climate Change and Public Health Strategic Plan - A plan completed in 2010 to begin to address impacts to public health based on a needs assessment of the state public health system.
NH Energy & Climate Collaborative: Adaptation Workgroup Report - A report developed by a diverse group of organizations working on climate change adaptation issues. The report includes specific action items that should be implemented to support climate change adaptation planning and implementation, including the development of this community adaptation toolkit.
Regional Plans and Workgroups
- Climate Change in the Piscataqua/Great Bay Region: Past, Present, and Future by Carbon Solutions New England - A report discussing the impact of climate change in the Great Bay Region of NH including recent statistics for NH on climate change impacts. For both the full report and the executive summary see http://carbonsolutionsne.org/.
- NH Coastal Adaptation Workgroup Workshops (NHCAW) - NHCAW is a collaboration of 19 organizations working to help communities in New Hampshire’s Coastal Watershed prepare for the effects of extreme weather events and other effects of long term climate change. NHCAW provides communities with education, facilitation and guidance; past workshops can be found on the website see http://nh.stormsmart.org/before/ed-outreach/past-workshops/.
- Keene, NH Climate Change Action Plan - A community level Climate Action Plan that includes municipal, residential, and business and industry measures and opportunities.
- Keene, NH Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan - A community level Adaptation Plan that includes vulnerability assessments and goals and targets for community level adaptation planning and implementation.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.