- Auto Recycler’s Guide for Labeling Tanks, Drums, and Other Fluid Containers
- Auto Salvage Yard Training Videos
- Best Management Practices for Motor Vehicle Recycling Facilities
Most regulations tell you what you have to do to be in compliance, but they don't explain how to do it. That's where best management practices (BMPs) become most useful. BMPs are practical, non-nonsense methods that can help you to get into compliance and stay there.
- Dirty Dozen
Motor vehicle recyclers can avoid a dozen dirty work practices that cause environmental contamination at motor vehicle salvage yards.
- Fluid Removal & Inspection Checklist
- Motor Vehicle Salvage Yard Environmental Compliance Manual & Self-Audit Checklist
This manual is a tool to help motor vehicle recyclers figure out if they are complying with state and federal environmental requirements. Municipal licensing officials can also use this manual to inspect motor vehicle salvage yards to verify compliance.
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Plan Template (SPCC)
The template is intended to help motor vehicle recyclers who are required to have a SPCC plan. Facilities that have at least one above ground storage tank (AST) exceeding 660 gallons, or two of more ASTs that have a combined capacity exceeding 1,320 gallons, must have a plan that has been stamped by a licensed professional engineer to be valid. The template is a draft of the plan.
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan for Auto Salvage Yards
- The Automotive Recyclers Association, a national trade association, offers a information and links ranging from market information to their certification program.
- ECAR Automotive Environmental Compliance for Auto Recyclers Center offers environmental information for auto salvage facilities.
- The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries provides information useful to auto salvage facilities that are looking to market their unwanted automobiles.
- The Steel Recycling Institute offers a quick link to several pages of information related to car recycling.
- Sustainable Conservation is a non-profit entity that collaborated with the State of California Auto Dismantlers Association, regulatory agencies, and environmentalists to find cost effective solutions to polluted runoff at auto salvage yards.
Other State and Federal Programs
- EPA New England’s Salvage Yard and Auto Recyclers
- Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, Division of Air and Waste Management DNREC Salvage Yard Manual
- Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection, Hazardous Waste Compliance Assistance Program
- Florida Automotive Recyclers' Handbook: Reducing and Managing Wastes
- Florida Green Yards: An Environmental Compliance Workbook For Automotive Recyclers
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
- Guide for Salvage Yard Owners
- Pollution Prevention for Automobile Recycling
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Environmental Compliance and Pollution Prevention Guide for Automobile Recyclers
- Washington State Department of Ecology A Guide for Vehicle Recyclers
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Auto Recyclers/Scrap and Waste Recyclers Business Sector
BMP's For Dismantling Of Vehicles For Parts Selling And Salvage
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.
Microsoft Word format. Download a free viewer from Microsoft.