2014 Training Schedule Solid Waste Operator Training Certification
|Workshop Description||Date||Location||Registration Deadline|
|Best Management Practices for Transfer Station Operators||Jan-10-2014||NHDES Concord||Jan-3-2014|
|Used Oil : BMPs, Compliance and Spill Response||Mar-14-2014||NHDES Concord||Mar-7-2014|
|Groundwater Basics, Landfill Monitoring and Case Histories||Apr-11-2014||NHDES Concord||Apr-4-2014|
|Understanding Asbestos: History, Production, Identification, Management, and Disposal||Apr-15-2014||NHDES Concord||Apr-8-2014|
|Mock Transfer Station Inspection||May-9-2014||Lee Transfer Station||May-2-2014|
|Household Hazardous Waste and Batteries||Jun-13-2014||NHDES Concord||Jun-6-2014|
|Current Trends in Recycling||July-11-2014||NHDES Concord||Jul-3-2014|
|Best Management Practices for Transfer Station Operators||Aug-8-2014||TBA||Aug-1-2014|
|Basic Training: A Refresher Course||Sep-12-2014||NHDES Concord||Sep-5-2014|
|Scrap Metal and Stormwater Management||Oct-10-2014||NHDES Concord||Oct-3-2014|
|Universal Waste||Nov-13-2014*||NHDES Concord||Nov-7-2014|
|TBA||Dec-12-2014||NHDES Portsmouth Regional Office||Dec-5-2014|
1. All Workshops provide 2.5 hours of continuing professional development hours.
2. All Workshops are held at the NHDES offices in Concord unless otherwise specified.
3. All Workshops meet on Friday from 9:00am to 12:00pm unless otherwise specified.
4.* This workshop is on Thursday.
5. Please arrive 15-30 minutes before the workshop start time.
6. To register for a workshop, please contact Nelson Ordway at 271-2925 or at email@example.com.
New Basic Training Class and Exam
- Date: Thursday, March 6, 2014
- Schedule: Arrive and sign in from 8:00 am to 8:15 am. Class starts at 8:30 am and ends at approximately 2:30 pm followed by the exam for new operators. Most people take about one hour to complete the open book, multiple choice, exam.
- Refreshments: Lunch and Breaks are provided.
- Location: NHDES, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord. Click here for directions to the NHDES Concord office: http://des.nh.gov/contactus/directions.htm
- Class Description: The new basic training class is for first time operators. Priority is given to first time operators but renewing operators can use the class toward continuing professional development provided they are present for the entire class. They are not required to take the exam. To register, call 603-271-2925 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Government Center
The following free online courses are available through the LGC and can be used to meet continuing education requirements:
The LGC also provides on-site training on topics such as back care, respiratory protection, hazard communication and personal protective equipment. These, and other courses provided in person by LGC, can also be used to meet solid waste operator annual training requirements.
Northeast Recycling Council
The Northeast Recycling Council, Inc. (NERC) is a multi-state non-profit organization that is committed to environmental sustainability through responsible materials management. Its programs emphasize source reduction, reuse, recycling, composting, environmentally preferable purchasing, and decreasing the toxicity of the solid waste stream with a focus on the 10-state region comprised of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont. NERCís member states make up one-sixth of the nationís population. NERC also implements three national programs.
Northeast Resource Recovery Association
The Northeast Resource Recovery Association (NRRA) offers training and workshops on waste management, recycling and worker safety. They also hold monthly meetings of their Member/Operations Marketing Committee (MOM), which qualify as continuing education credit provided the operator attends two meetings. The annual NRRA conference can also be used to meet the annual solid waste operator workshop obligation.
Primex (NH Public Risk Management Exchange)
Primex offers on-site and online training courses for its members in health and safety, regulations and management. Please check with DES to determine which courses meet solid waste operator continuing education credit.
Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA)
The SWANA Northern New England Chapter holds Technical Sessions three times per year, covering a variety of topics in the solid waste field. SWANA also offers a variety of online and in-person training courses. Go to their Training Page for more information.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.