EPA and the states perform extensive outreach through their Small Systems and Capacity Development Programs to assist small system owners and operators to operate and manage their systems successfully, and in compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act. This page includes select tools and guidance documents developed by EPA for use by small systems.
All documents have been saved in Adobe Acrobat Reader format.
- Best Practice Guide – Roles and Responsibilities of Owners (2 pp)
- Best Practice Guide – Roles and Responsibilities of Operators (2 pp)
- Best Practice Guide – Talking to your Decisionmakers (2 pp)
- Fact sheet - Using Technical, Managerial, and Financial Capacity to Improve System Security – Suggestions for States (2 pp)
- STEP guide - Small Systems Guide to Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) Regulations (35 pp, 3.1MB)
- STEP guide - Setting Small Drinking Water System Rates for a Sustainable Future (62 pp, 341K)
- STEP guide - Total Coliform Rule for Non-Community Water Systems (52 pp, 643 K)
- STEP guide - Small Systems Guide to the Total Coliform Rule: Monitoring Drinking Water Systems to Protect Public Health (64 pp, 5.6 M)
- Interactive Sampling CD for Small Systems
Contact us for any additional information or guidance.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.