To prevent pollution of all public or private water supplies, whether underground or surface sources.
The Subsurface Systems Bureau is responsible for the review and issuance or denial of permits that govern approximately 80-85% of all development that occurs within the state of New Hampshire. In particular, the bureau is responsible for the following activities:
- Reviews applications for the subdivision of land and the design of individual septic systems.
- Performs on-site inspections of all septic systems installed in order to ensure strict compliance with the approved plans.
- Implements and administers the program for licensing both designers and installers of septic systems. No individual may submit an application nor install a septic system without first obtaining a license from this bureau.
- Investigates written complaints received by the Department of Environmental Services relative to situations which are or may be causing degradation of the state’s waters.
- Coordinates other necessary permits involved in a particular project or development.