When construction activities disturb one of the following:
- An area of land greater than or equal to one acre.
- An area of land less than one acre that is part of a larger common plan of development or sale that would disturb one acre or more.
Then the MS4 General Permit will require in this minimum control that a program to reduce pollutants in storm water runoff originating from the site be developed, implemented, and enforced. It is strongly encouraged that construction site operators are provided with the appropriate educational and training measures.
The program must include the development and implementation of at least the following:
- An ordinance or other regulatory mechanism to require erosion and sediment controls, as well as sanctions to ensure compliance, to the extent allowable under State, Tribal, or local law;
- Requirements for construction site operators to implement appropriate erosion and sediment control (ESC) best management practices;
- Requirements for construction site operators to control waste such as discarded building materials, concrete truck washout, chemicals, litter, and sanitary waste at the construction site that may cause adverse impacts to water quality;
- Procedures for site plan review which incorporate consideration of potential water quality impacts;
- Procedures for receipt and consideration of information submitted by the public, and
- Procedures for site inspection and enforcement of control measures.
More Information on General Best Management Practices
- Best Management Practices to Control Nonpoint Source Pollution A Guide for Citizens and Town Officials
- Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Groundwater Protection
National EPA Fact Sheets & Guides
- Construction site runoff control
- EPA: Measurable Goals Guidance For Phase II - Small MS4s
- EPA Storm Water Phase II Compliance Assistance - Guide
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Pollution prevention/good housekeeping
- Post-construction runoff control
- Public education and outreach
- Public participation/involvement
- Natural Resources Defense Council: Strategies in -the Northeast
- National Storm Water Best Management Practices -Database
- Natural Resources Defense Council: Storm Water -Strategies- Findings From the Case Studies
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.