Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
Equipment and facility operation and maintenance should be an integral component of all storm water management programs. A Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping plan is intended to improve the efficiency of these management programs and require new programs where necessary. A properly developed and implemented operation and maintenance plan reduces the risk of water quality problems. EPA recommends that, at a minimum, you consider the following when developing your plan:
- Equipment and facility maintenance activities and schedules.
- Long-term inspection procedures for storm water controls to reduce pollutants discharged from your storm water sewers.
- Controls for reducing or eliminating the discharge of pollutants from:
- Streets, roads, and highways
- Municipal parking lots
- Maintenance and storage yards
- Fleet or maintenance shops with outdoor storage areas
- Salt/sand storage locations and snow disposal areas operated by the municipality
- Waste transfer stations
- Procedures for properly disposing of waste removed from the separate storm water sewers and areas listed above (such as dredge spoil, accumulated sediments, floatables, and other debris).
- Ways to ensure that new flood management projects assess the impacts on water quality (such as proper sized culverts).
- Examine existing projects for incorporating additional water quality protection devices or practices (such as commercially available storm water devices).
More Information on General Best Management Practices
- Best Management Practices to Control Nonpoint Source Pollution A Guide for Citizens and Town Officials
- Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Groundwater Protection
National EPA Fact Sheets & Guides
- Construction site runoff control
- EPA: Measurable Goals Guidance For Phase II - Small MS4s
- EPA Storm Water Phase II Compliance Assistance - Guide
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Pollution prevention/good housekeeping
- Post-construction runoff control
- Public education and outreach
- Public participation/involvement
- National Storm Water Best Management Practices -Database
- Natural Resources Defense Council: Strategies in -the Northeast
- Natural Resources Defense Council: Storm Water -Strategies- Findings From the Case Studies
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.