Beginning in November 2013 Commercial Salt Applicators certified by DES under RSA 489-C – and property owners or managers who hire them -- are granted liability protection against damages arising from snow and ice conditions under RSA 508:22. The purpose of the voluntary certification program is to:
1. Improve efficiency in salt use, such that the least amount of salt is used to ensure safe conditions on surfaces traveled by pedestrians and vehicles in winter conditions;
2. Reduce the amount of salt used by commercial applicators, as measured in tons of salt per acre per year, over time while maintaining safe conditions for pedestrians and vehicles in winter conditions; and
3. Establish a voluntary system for commercial salt applicators to track their salt use and provide information annually to the salt accounting system.
- How to Become Certified NHDES Salt Applicator
- How to Maintain Your NHDES Salt Applicator Certification
- Application Forms and Links
- Current List of NHDES Certified Salt Applicators - Use arrows at top of columns to sort by: Name, Affiliation or Business Address.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- For More information: Pat Woodbrey, Salt Reduction Coordinator, NHDES Watershed Assistance Section, 29 Hazen Drive; PO Box 95, Concord, NH 03302-0095, [email protected] (603)-271-5329
- DES Commercial Salt Applicator Certification Application and Renewal Form Follow this link to apply for certification or to renew an existing certificate. Certificates are valid July 1 through June 30 and must be renewed annually. New Applicants will need to have taken and passed the approved Green SnowPro training offered by the UNH Technology Transfer Center.
- Green SnowPro training program Follow this link to sign up for the required Green SnowPro training and refresher courses offered by the UNH Technology Transfer Center.
- SIMA link Follow this link for additional on-line refresher course offerings through SIMA's Advanced Snow Management program. Courses include: Core Principles (a pre-requisite for the other courses), Ice Management, Plowing Operations, and Sidewalk Operations. Note: These courses provide credits only for currently certified applicators. To become eligible for initial certification, applicants must complete the UNH Green SnowPro initial training course.
- Salt Accounting System As part of your annual reporting, certified applicators are required to submit annual reports of salt use.
- Program Rules and scroll down to Env-Wq 2200 Voluntary Certified Salt Applicator Program for the administrative rules governing the certification program.
- Video summary of Certfication Program - Derry Community Television interview with Patrick Woodbrey, NHDES Salt Reduction Coordinator
- List of NHDES Certified Salt Applicators Use arrows at top of columns to sort by: Name, Affiliation or Business Address.
Look for the Green SnowPro logo in your snow removal contractor’s window and be sure to check with your contractor to confirm their certification is up to date, or contact Patrick Woodbrey at DES:
Microsoft Excel format. Download a free viewer from Microsoft.
Microsoft Word format. Download a free viewer from Microsoft.